Search This Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Class Farewell

What a semester it has been! We have travel all through this continent (I originally put "of ours" at the end of the line, but decided not to). I'm really happy that we ended with Bayou Farewell. I don't think it was just because it's closest or most relatable to us; I felt that it wrapped everything we've been talking about the whole semester into one. The idea of place, home, identity, land, human-nature relationship, and so much more. I think even though we live so close to the bayous, none of us have really seen or heard of the bayou quite like this before. I got so attached to this Cajun story and so invested in all the characters and I wanted to know what happened to them or how things turned out. I love their relationship and understanding of the lands. There is a great respect for the land and closeness with it. They know this is their place, this is their 'home'. They know what is happening to the marshes, but they don't know any other life, it is the only life they want. They are so aware of what is going on, and know that it is happening so fast that their children won't see some of the land they saw as a child. I liked the dynamics of all people Tidwell visited because there were a variety of them from the Cajuns, Native Americans, and the Vietnamese. Each person treated and connected with the land differently, but they all had the same understanding of its lost. That leaves the question of us. We are also a part of this land, especially since we are that close to it. What do we do and how can we help reduce the marsh loss? I think after this class we have seen our place in this world more clearly and understand the intricate relationship humans and nature has. We are all more conscious of our actions which is a great start so we can continue to grow and move further.

No comments:

Post a Comment