Search This Blog

Friday, December 3, 2010

Extremes and Land Ethics

First, it just seems like we have issues with the extreme because some people didn't really like Desert Solitaire and some of us don't care for Rowing to Latitude and both of these books were set in extreme environments. I don't know what is it, was it more of the landscape that related to their character, but both authors have drawn some displease from the class. I found Abbey dry and vast like the desert he was in and I can't say too much for Fredston because I didn't finish her book yet, but it wasn't too bad, though the back and forth of her life and the Arctic can be annoying sometimes. I just found how it was funny the two books with the two most extreme environments we had the most issues with.

As for my Land Ethics, when I was writing it, I think I got lost in the idea of the other, in which I mean my audience. I was having a tough time on how I wanted to go about it because it was hard writing my opinion on my own land ethics, but trying to find others to support my idea. Then there was the question of who I should be addressing or even if I should be addressing anyone. The ethic was hard to write because you sometimes have too much to say and trying to articulate it in a way that supports your stand and is understandable for others. I had a lot of issues of trying to be precise about what my ideas were or what I wanted to convey and how to go about it. There still a lot to think about even after I was done because sometimes you just feel like you don't do your mind and heart justice on paper or with words.

No comments:

Post a Comment