Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The City of Covington: Preservation...through Expansion?

This picture presents an interesting image, doesn't it? Covington has always been interested in preserving, and maintaining its small-town history - the history of its landscape, the history of its buildings, the history of its people. Originally founded in 1813 as the Town of Wharton, Covington is "surrounded by three beautiful rivers, [and] has air quality unique to the world. Oxygen-rich ozone is found here, Arizona, and Germany. It's our pine trees." Note, too, that to get here "you'll cross a bridge when you come to it." (http://cityofcovingtonla.com/live.php)

Yet following Katrina, our "small-town" has expanded tremendously, welcoming many newcomers to its charming ways. This rapid expansion, however, has brought about many changes to our geography, and as a result, a massive new zoning overhaul is currently underway. The City of Covington's Planning and Zoning department claims that they are "Preparing for Covington's Future." Its mission: "To promote quality, sustainable development within the City through such programs as growth and land use management, community development, and code and zoning compliance."

Yet when I read this on the City of Covington's website, (http://cityofcovingtonla.com/planning-and-zoning.php) I was somewhat confused by the ambiguity of the language in its mission statement. On the surface, it sounds great; sure. But what exactly is "quality, sustainable development?" And what does a "land use managemen program" entail, exactly? I read further.

"The primary issue for the Planning & Zoning Department is to promte livable and sustainable development, which ensures more orderly and efficient growth within our community...[and will] administer regulations that govern how land is developed within the City of Covington." (Namely, "Subdivisions, Apartment Complexes, Shopping Centers, Business parks," and the like).

These "Land Development regulations help provide for sound community growth by establishing certain standards for new land development or redevelopment."

The City of Covington, ultimately, seeks to "protect both quality of life and quality of investment" for its inhabitants.

This certainly makes more sense. That's wonderful that the City is so eager to monitor growth and see that our history and unique character is not lost due to our expansions of late. However, what does this mean for me? As a homeowner? As a taxpayer? As a citizen?

Come to find out, the block that my house sits on (while it was the very first house on its block back in the 1950s,) has now been re-zoned as being "residential-commercial." Wait, so now my neighbors on either side of me might actually be neighbors, or might I be sandwiched in-between a law office and a salon? Or between an antique shop and a notary? Or a restaurant? Or a doctor's office?

I must say, I would be none too happy should any situation like that occur - I much prefer having my neighbors as neighbors and living in a residential area, driving downtown (a few blocks) to experience any thrills of commerce.

Don't get me wrong - I love Covington. There is something unique and special about this place that you just don't quite meet just anywhere. This is home, and always will be. I never want to leave. But if Covington does in fact seek to "protect the quality of life and quality of investment" for me - a homeowner, citizen, and inhabitant - then perhaps they should revisit their "planning and growth management."
http://cityofcovingtonla.com

1 comment:

  1. That is really sad. I kind of understand because when I was little I had some woods behind my house right next to an open field. I used to pick blackberries, explore, and play behind my house. Both the field and woods were bulldozed for new subdivisions. I imagine that the idea that the land surrounding your home could be replaced by silly buildings is very disgusting to you. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete