Search This Blog

Friday, September 17, 2010

Images of My Emerson



I was really excited to do the "walking tour" for this course, since the subject matter we are focusing on requires a lot of hands on application. I generally jog in Audubon in the mornings and I find that there are a lot of differences between the times of day, be it morning, noon, or dusk (since its closed at night). All three of these times gives Audubon a totally different personality.
On the side, I do photography as a private business and have done photo shoots over there. The photos always resonate with me since it is such a beautiful place in the middle of such a chaotic city. Much like Central Park in New York, Audubon gives a type of serenity and natural appeal that can be hard to find in such a nitty-gritty city. The contrasts
between the two are remarkable, but are beautiful I find in different ways.
I know that Emerson and Thoreau were very loyal to the natural world, but I do appreciate the man made one as well. In its own way it has a life, that can be corroded or intrusive, but certainly "alive" with just as much personality.
I suppose I just have a lot more walking to do, but I know I'll figure out my stance soon - taking photos and writing reflection pieces along the way.


2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I like that you are working out a balance b/w "nature" and "city" and "self." In fact, I think the same kind of project can be found in both Emerson and Thoreau, given their location in a then-rapidly expanding New England.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a runner, and I can relate to this assignment and Cait's writing piece. There is a very special connection that I feel as a runner with my surroundings. Sometimes I do enjoy "disconnecting" from the sounds of my i-pod, and I really love the tranquility the activity brings.

    ReplyDelete