Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hometown Current Events: Animal Abuse in Baton Rouge


Firstly, I am from Baton Rouge and I identify myself as a person from Baton Rouge. I feel this way because I feel most like myself when I am in the house I grew up in with the people that know me best. When I was looking for current environmental news going on in Baton Rouge, it was extremely hard to find an issue not having to due with the BP incident. I wanted to find an article that was strictly about Baton Rouge. The one that I came up with was about animal abuse.

Apparently, there are complaints that have been filed to the Ascension Parish Police Department regarding the well-being of several horses on a property right off of Highway 941. There are about twelve horses. They have been described as looking emaciated. The owner of the property had made some sort of arrangement to allow the horses and their owner to live off of his land. If the allegations are proved to be true the owner could face up to 1,000 dollars in fines, 6 months in jail, or both.

What was most disturbing to me is that the location of the horses is clearly visible to all passerby vehicles. People were seeing these animals mistreated everyday and choosing to do nothing about it because they felt that it did not concern them or they did not care. I remember one time my sister was attacked by a dog while taking a walk and my neighbors came to their windows to see, yet still did nothing to help. I don't understand why people get animals that they cannot care for and I don't understand why people so often choose to ignore living things that are struggling to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment