Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

LePan's Skyscraper Art


I looked a bit more into LePan's work as a artist and have more information to consider when we discuss his "Land Ethic". While Animals is a destructive and grotesque look into the back corners of American "Land Life", his art work says otherwise.

His paintings are various depictions of Skyscraper Art. This art, he states in his web page are back in full consciousness since the tragedy of 9/11. His Skyscraper Art I feel is a coveting act of nostalgia for American industry. His paintings are images of major human constructs such as Wrigley Field in Chicago and The Brooklyn Bridge. There are several other images that portray cities as a whole, New York and even Toronto, Canada for example.

I'm not sure how you will review them, but I see them as a honoring of "human life" (as best a definition I can give for now).




*This is my favorite, 'Darkness in America' (1997)

No comments:

Post a Comment