Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

Octavia Butler - Dawn

So as Sarah and Cait have been talking about in class, if you like The Word for World is Forest, then you would really love Octavia Butler's Dawn. Like both of them have said, I too was a bit skeptical about reading science fiction novel last semester. Not that I hated science fiction, but I just felt it wasn't my genre as some would say they don't care for 19th century Russian fiction or something. I don't think I've really read too many science friction books unless you count The Animorphs series as one. [Correction: I just looked it up and apparently that series was classified as Science Fiction novels] Well, I guess I do love science fiction because that was one of my favorite book series.

Dawn, the back summary said something on the lines of it's the future, and earth is being destroyed. A woman finds herself on a spaceship 200 years later and she now has to figure out what this alien species want from her as they groom her a certain way for a project. This book was amazing and I'm not doing justice by explaining it. I feel like it examine prejudices, power struggle, alienation, and many other topics of the late 1980's. I highly recommend this as a reading. I'm only halfway through Le Guin's novel, and it just reminds me of Dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment