Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Freedom

When reading Democracy in America for tomorrow's class, I found the selections to be filled with really interesting points, ideas and beliefs that still hold true in some cases. One of the most interesting lines I found was on page 27, "The Indians, though all ignorant and poor, are also equal and free." This was not only an interesting discovery for Tocqueville but to me that he would come to such a realization. The fact that a person could be free in poverty or equal in ignorance is a very intriguing idea. In the current United States, we are all given the same rights, whether poor or ignorant, yet we are not all equal and free. When continuing thinking of this idea, I tried to find the relation to this in nature since that is what I do with every thought in this class. Nature, like a person in the United States, is suppose to be free though at times it is not. Nature at times is confined by concrete in the ever growing landscape of buildings and roads at times. It is cut, ripped, stomped on and taken from its home. Though Nature has the ability to be wild, it is controlled by humans often. We manipulate flowers to make them different colors, we get patches of grass and put them with others and we put chemicals on grass, weeds and leaves to make them different than their natural way. Still in spite of this all, Nature grows wild. I thought this metaphor for humans and human nature was a really unique way to look at things. It also gave me a feeling of patriotism that I would some how grow wild no matter what the United States' government would throw my way ha. This really just made me think of how much Nature can be a metaphor for everything is in and around our lives. (As disjointed as this post is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment