Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

a weekend in the wood

Last weekend I worked the Awakening retreat at Camp Whispering Pines in Independence, Lousiana. We slept in screened-in cabins and enjoyed limited electricity, but for the most part, I attempted to avoid anything that I would use in the city (except for food and clothes, of course). Some of these things included an ipod, a cellphone, a shower, and a toilet. Since all of these items are not usually found in the woods, I avoided using them. One item that wood-visitors never leave home without is a flashlight. However, I chose not to bring one.


According to Edward Abbey, the flashlight, like the other items I left at home, "tends to separate a man from the world around him" (15). I completely agree. At night, the light constricts the pupils and produces an extremely limited line of vision. In the woods, I chose to walk down the night path without this safety blanket and my experience was beautiful. I could see extremely well. The moon and the multitude of bright shining stars lit the way.

Unfortunately, not all of the retreaters headed Abbey's advice. Perhaps they have not even thought about it. When you're in the woods and it's dark, our minds automatically think "Flashlight!" Passing those toting electric torches, I was blinded. The light that was suppossed to guide me actually blinded me.

The theme of the retreat was based around Matisyahu's song "I Will Be Light."
___________________________
You've got one tiny moment in time
For life to shine, to shine
To burn away the darkness
___________________________

During this one tiny moment without a flashlight, the shining life of my eyes, my soul, the moon, and the stars burned away the darkness.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great retreat! I remember when we used to go walking at night in AK w/ our headlamps... and once we got about 50 feet from our door, we'd shut our head lamps off, stumble around for several feet, and then suddenly the darkness would coalesce into shapes and light. It's as if you are alone in a crowd. So peaceful, yet so active. I know I always feel comforted when I look up and see the constellation Orion to my upper center/left... that means it's winter!!

    ReplyDelete